Winter Blues


So usually around mid February or early March. I get really sick of winter.  By that point we have had our deep freeze, a string of couple big storms and I have been locked away for awhile. 

It is the first week of January and I already am SO desperate for summer. Or at least warm temperatures. 

It is been ridiculously cold for weeks now.  Christmas had some decent storms and then this week we had more storms.  My boys were sick basically all of December and now Henry has another minor ear infection and Charlie has another little cold. 


We live in the country which means that there are not a lot of options for things to do. We have play spaces but they are all at least 45 minutes away. So that usually means I will lose my nap time if we go, which basically is my only source of "down time". 

I think I used to have regular monthly "Mama nights". Where I would meet friends for dinner and that definitely helped recharge me. Unfortunately those are not really an option anymore. I have definitely have noticed a difference without a regular break allowing me to just relax and be me. 

So obviously we need some solution because we still have a long time to go before winter is over!  We need ways to break up the cabin fever. One thing I know for sure is that a happy Mom means for a happy house. I have learned that I really do tend to set the tone for the house. If I am cranky and emotional, not to surprisingly my children respond with similar attitudes. It can be a vicious cycle! 

So some solutions I have come up with are

1. Embrace the lazy.  The long summer days means lots of summer projects and yard work. I remember being SO tired during some of those summer days. So right now is a perfect time to catch up on some movies, and read all the books on my nightstand and kindle. If I want to veg out on the couch after the boys go to bed. Well there you go. Enjoy it, because this will only last a bit. 

2. Find some projects. I know this is basically the opposite of the first but oh well. I have so many sewing and quilting projects I would like to get done. I started a quilt for Henry when I was pregnant and it is still only half done.  This is also a good time to get some house projects done as China Man has more availability to get these projects done. 

3. Just suck it up and drag our behinds to the play space or other things. We do live in Maine, we won't die if it is cold. It just happens to have been border line unsafe cold and with two kiddos who keep getting we have been playing it unsafe. 

4. Life of Luxury. Sounds so silly but with the dry and cold weather I have been so OCD about my skin the past few months. I have been doing charcoal masks, hydro masks, collagen masks, constantly using lotion and drinking around 96-100 ounces of water a day.  It really only takes 15-20 minutes but it makes me feel so better. I probably will not be stopping the wrinkles and lines that keep popping up on my face lately, but it must be doing something good. Plus it is just fun. 

5. Welcome to the Grind. Just focusing on some fitness and health goals. Everyone is always eating healthy in January anyways why not join the bandwagon. It is always nice to enter spring and summer in good shape. Also those exercise endorphins are pretty fabulous buddies to have when you spend most days by yourself with 2 toddlers. 

So that is the plan for January. We will shall see if it helps or not. If it does not, you will probably just find me looking for houses in the South. 

Comments

Popular Posts